Sunday, October 9, 2011

Other Photos of the Tennessee




Each time I blog the internet connection determines how many photos I can post along with our current update. Typically I can only download 3-4 and even then it takes 10-15 minutes for those to go through. So here are a few more I thought you all would like to see.

Upper right photo is a tow and barge setup that is very typical on the rivers. This one was 5 deep and 5 wide being pushed by one of these massive tows. We just passed him on the "two". When two vessels are going the same direction, a "two" pass is my starboard to his port. You call the tow captain to ask which side he wants to see you on, and they are very accommodating.

Bob and I did have fun. I actually caught a pretty nice bass, but we turned him back. So messy to clean one fish. It was great to have Bob and Jean meet us in "Paris".

It is Sunday morning, and KU posted another monumental loss, as did Texas. It is a sad time in Mudville. We are moving on today to Pickwick Dam and Lock at mile 205 on the Tennessee River. This is supposed to be one of the prettiest lakes in the country. I believe the lock takes us up about 60'. We are staying for a few days at Aqua Yacht Harbor, in Yellow Creek on the lake. Yellow creek is actually the beginning of the Tombigbee Canal, but we are not headed down that canal yet. We can't. My insurance will not let me go south of 31 degrees until Nov. 1. Plus we are attending the Loopers Rendezvous at Joe Wheeler Lake (two more Locks and Dams east up the river) on Oct. 23-26. Then we will head south to Mobile.

The trees are turning and its just beautiful. Hope you are all well. Marc


1 comment:

  1. so why does the Tennessee River run north? And why did they connect the rivers/lakes with locks....is there a lot of commercial traffic up and down the Tennessee River/Kentucky Lake? You're right....it does remind me of the Ozarks. Beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete