Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Roger and Carla Smith and the St. John River

I have said this before, but one of the great experiences on Rock Chalk is exploring new very divergent places that we can reach by boat.   This last journey down the St. John was enhanced so much by Carla and Roger.   They are great naturalists, especially when it comes to birds.   Birds, Birds, Birds.   These two know a plethora  of birds, even by their song.  I have not been a big bird watcher before, but Carla and Roger's enthusiasm for finding all these different birds, make it fun.

We stayed at Morrison Island as I mentioned in a previous post, and the Smith's identified so many different types of birds, that I was amazed.  Here are some random shots along the St. John during that week where we cruised the inside passage of Florida.

Roger at the helm

Sunrise on the St. John
If you have followed my blog, I love the light for a photo at dawn.  There is nothing better than getting up early and watching the sun come up over the water.   The colors are stunning.








We loved the St. John.   I would go back.   My partner, Mike Priede grew up in Jacksonville and enjoyed these waters for years.  Jacksonville is uniquely positioned at the bend of the river where it turns from a northerly flow for 160 miles, and makes a right turn to the east and the Atlantic.  Mike tells me that you can dock downtown and enjoy all the local watering holes from the wharf.   Hmmm.   Sounds good.

Downtown Jacksonville

No comments:

Post a Comment