Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Unexpected

Leo the Lionhearted

Max, the Fisherman

We have been planning this trip to bring Max and Leo to Canada on Rock Chalk for many months.  We thought to ourselves, "What a great trip for the boys.  They will experience so much!!"

It turns out that Shelley and I are getting so much more out of this trip.  It is not often that a grandparent can spend some really quality time with your grandkids.   Not just a night or a weekend, but long hours together, laughing and talking.  We have them captive on the boat, so there is no choice but to talk and share.  They talk about everything life has to offer, and what they want to do in it.  Max is ever the comedian, and he keeps us laughing through dinners each night.    Here I was all prepared to teach him so much about the boat and boating, and I am the one discovering what is important about these two young guys.

I have to say they are also 13 and 9, and they can go off on some really strange tangents. I guess I have forgotten how funny a fart is supposed to be.  They know all these lines from movies.   Moving body parts are really important, especially if one can bump his chest muscles up and down.  Mema can...   And of course at 13, Max has to always look good.   My sunglasses are reflective.   I can't tell you how many times Max comes close to me and looks me in the eye.   He is just checking to make sure that every hair is in order.   And he is always on the outlook.  He knows how to send the signals to other pre teen girls.  And they seem to like it.  Who knew????

Leo loves his big brother and laughs at all of Max's stories.   I mean all of them.  Then he will repeat them.   I only hope I am alive in 25 years, when they are in their 30's, and see how close they will be.   BFF's

Max has been such a great help on the boat.   He has learned its systems, and loves to be able to do things on his own.  He has mastered the dinghy and its engine.  He helps me clean the deck after we dock at a marina.   Leo pitches in and does his share.  He is smaller and its hard for him to muscle the boat around like Max, but his heart is in the right place.  But what they do very well, is make Shelley and I laugh.  Priceless.
Gophers

Showing his moves in the Locks
We are moving down the Rideau southwest toward Kingston Ontario.  Kingston is a large city that sits at the end of the Rideau Canal, and at the mouth of the St. Lawrence River, as it starts its journey out of Lake Ontario.   It is a fitting end to the 150 mile journey from Ottawa to Kingston on the Rideau Canal.  The Canal is a historic site for Canada, and has been quite an experience for us Kansans/Texans who journeyed through her waters.

Sunset on the Rideau

No comments:

Post a Comment