Sunday, March 19, 2017

                                        OK, This is Crazy

I mentioned earlier that we knew we were planning this trip to New Zealand during the Big 12, and NCAA Championship tournaments.   And yes, we knew that this "could" be the year for another KU National Championship, which is nirvana for Shelley and I, and our entire family.    Alas, we thought that this was the right time to tour these two islands, and have the Vacation of a Lifetime.    It has lived up to its billing so far, but today was just crazy.   

Here we are driving south on Hwy 2 in the southern part of the North Island headed for our destination in the wine regions around Martinsborough.   We have a good Wi-Fi router in our camper that costs $10/day, and it has been great.   It is 10:30 on Monday morning, and KU is tipping off in its game with Michigan State.  We read all the hype last night, and know that this is a huge game for KU, and they need to make a statement on their way to the Final Four.

I'm still trying to get used to driving on the left side of the road, but Shelley has ESPN on her phone getting the play by play updates.   Our four kids, spouses, and 7 grandkids are all on one group text message, and each of them is piping in their thoughts on the game.   The game is tense and Shelley is telling me that I may have to pull over if it is still close at the end, for her to stand on her head for good luck.   She threw something at me when I suggested it would be really impressive if she could do that while we were driving....  think of the good luck that would bring....maybe not.  Not even the Flying Wolinskis could stand on their head in this tiny camper van while I drive down these NZ roads.   

Then I am asking her to get off the basketball site, to get back to the Google maps so she can tell me when our next turn is.   Begrudgingly she changes, tells me quickly, "Go left in 2 km", and then she is back to the text site.  Great we're up by 6.    Shana sends a video of her entire family sitting around the TV in their basement in Wichita watching the game.   The kids can barely take their eyes off the game to say Hi to their long lost Grandparents,  half way around the world.   I get it,  I would be the same way if KU was on the TV in a big game.  We had to pull over to watch the video from Shana, catch up on all the plays, then move on.   Bryan and family are watching from Lawrence, Erin from Austin, and Charlie, Cait and Luke are glued to the TV in Pasadena.    Perfect!

We knew something big happened, when Charlie texted "JJ and simply a WOW!!!   Must have been another great dunk by Josh.   Then the Vick technical made us pull over to figure out who did  what, and if that was swinging the game back to MSU's favor.   Luckily not.   

By the time we got to our Holiday Park the game was over, KU wins by 20, and all is right with the world.   NZ looks prettier than ever, it is a bright sunny Monday afternoon, we are in wine country, and there is not much more you can ask for.    We got settled and spent the next two hours reading every website on the game, watched a few of the videos (the lob to Svi from Devonte was a thing of beauty), and now our night is really perfect with Duke LOSING!!!!    Villy and Duke out.    Come on Shelley, lets go drink some wine.  Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!



2 comments:

  1. Just spent my lunch munching on the ubiquitous Jimmy Johns sammy while catching up with your travels in NZ. I will say, you do have some cojones to drive in NZ. Even I, who grew up in London and used to be driven on the left hand side, would never attempt to drive on the left... let alone in a travel caravan. It seems you can do just about anything when it comes to water or land craft. I laughed at your report regarding Mr. Trump discussions and the Kiwi's, yes they seem to be very nice and polite folks. :) Just 15 months ago in London, a discussion regarding gun control in a pub outside of Chelsea FC grounds, turned a bit nasty, which I had to cut my friend short to change the subject. Your support for KC made me smile, since I share the same passion for Chelsea as you know and the very early days of being in the US trying to find anything about my team and how they were doing. It was the late 70's and we didn't have mobile phones, let alone wifi or GPS... You guys are having a good run, best of luck winning it all. Your pictures and commentary makes NZ sound as wonderful and beautiful as the pictures reveal. Hopefully by now, you have sorted the issues with your little camper and it has become a little easier navigating all the systems and everything is working like it should now. I left my friend Scotty a message, haven't heard back, however I do know he is involved with a major construction project in Auckland and it seems you guys are heading to Wellington to cross over. If I hear from him, I'll let you know. Safe travels, great to be able to follow you with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Jens. My love to Susie. We did get our little camper straighten out, so now we can "Freedom camp" as they say here. Beautiful day today in wine country around Martinborough. Lots of great Pinots to sample. In to Wellington tomorrow to explore the city, then on to the South Island on Thursday am. Hope you are doing well. Hope you are laughing a bit every day. My best to you MC

      Delete