Sunday, April 2, 2017

                         
                          Central Otago 

They tell you to divide your time in New Zealand,  One-Third to tour the North Island, and Two-Thirds in the South Island.   We are really starting to understand why.   The South Island is spectacular.   We keep saying to ourself, "Wow, this is really cool".   Then we drive another hundred kilometers and the next spot is just as beautiful if not more, then the next spot....You get my meaning.   Central Otago reminds me of Montana.   High mountains separated by broad valleys, rivers and lakes.   The soil is rocky, so this is one of the finest wine regions in the world.   That is always good news for us.  The Pinot Noir's are different than other Pinots around the world, and are really good.  Really really good.

Several years ago we were anchored on Rock Chalk in the Exumas, Bahamas.   As I was puttering around the anchorage there was another boat anchored near us flagged from New Zealand.   I stopped my dinghy to say hi and introduce myself, and met Phil and Donna from the small village of Bannockburn in  Central Otago, New Zealand.  The photo above is the view from their back patio, which is right next to their vineyard.  Also note the rugged "torn up" mound in the foreground.   That is the tailings of the Gold mining done in the valley below Phil's house back in the late 1800's.


Never tell a New Zealander whom you happen to meet in some far corner of the earth, to come visit you in your hometown, ......unless you mean it.   They are like Hobbits.   They are quite friendly, and they will show up on your doorstep.   

After meeting Phil and Donna in the Bahamas, and drinking a few beers for two days, we sailed off our separate ways as is so common when cruising.   Two years later I get a call from Phil asking if I remembered him, and by the way, they are coming to Austin and would like to stay at the house.   We laugh about it now, but yes, I was surprised.   He and Donna were off their boat, and touring the US by car, and just happened to have four tickets to the US Grand Prix in its inaugural year in Austin.  "Come on down" I told him, and they did.  

Phil is a huge Formula I fan, and has gone to many different cities around the world to see the races.   He has raced himself in Formula IV class for many years, and he is not shy to tell you that he is good...."I win most of my races in my class".   He has this really hot Honda in his garage with the 2000 cc engine, tail fin, big tires, and obviously all kinds of gizmos on his race car, about which I know nothing.  Surprisingly, there is a Grand Prix track for the smaller race cars (like Phil's) right there in Bannockburn.  Phil races there on a regular basis, and tries to attend at least one Formula I a year, typically up in Melbourne.  

Phil is also a former rugby player, and played at the highest levels of rugby in New Zealand.   He played until he was 40 years old, so he is a pretty tough ole bird.  

In preparation for this trip, I emailed Phil to let him know we were going to return the favor, and he was most gracious and insisted that when we got to Central Otago, we had to stay with them for several days and get out of that damn camper van and into a real bed for a bit.  We did.   

You know how expensive it is in Austin to get a "View".   The view out of our little condo in Lakeway is of my neighbors sidewall.    I could not take my eyes off this view.  The entire side of their house is windows, and my camera can in no way capture the beauty of the 180 degree view they have from their hilltop.    Their vineyard is called Kingsmill, and we sampled many a bottle of their fabulous Pinot Noir over the time we were there.  It is events like this that make trips abroad so memorable, and neither Shelley nor I will soon forget these days at Kingsmill.    We might even root for the New Zealand Blacks, next time we tune into international rugby.  
Thanks Phil and Donna.  (Phil was in his cellar getting another bottle of Pinot. )  

The 180 degree view from my iPhone Panoramic view








No comments:

Post a Comment