Sunday, April 18, 2010

Back in Austin

Shelley and I have been home for 5 days and I am already nervous about how Rock Chalk is doing sitting all by itself. My friend Todd predicted this and of course he is laughing. I guess I am going to have to relax a bit and realize that the boat can sit patiently and await our next opportunity to go boating. I hired the dockmaster at the marina where Rock Chalk is moored to check on the boat every other day or so. She has the lock combination and will go on board to check bilges, pumps, etc. She does this for a number of boats as this marina is a very popular place for Loopers and live-aboard's. The dockmaster, Sherrie, is trustworthy to do this, we hope, so that gives me some comfort in leaving Rock Chalk for awhile.

Looking back it was a great 3 weeks. The time we spent with the former owners, Bill and Joy Porter, was extremely helpful. They went well out of their way to "train" us on the boat systems and needs. It was obvious that they loved this boat and took great care of it for the 6 years that they lived on it. They have moved on to a place in Ft. Meyers, Fl and are starting a new chapter in their lives. Thanks to the Porters for helping Shelley and I.

I talked to our good friend Roger Smith this morning, and his last day at Spirit Aerospace is this coming Thursday. So Roger will be the second person in our group to officially reach retirement (Darrell Hufferd being the first) and I think he is ready. Carla will retire at the end of June from her long career in the Wichita School District, so Roger is getting their camper all ready for their adventures to follow. Hard to believe that we are moving into this stage of our lives.

Hope you all are well. Updates to Rock Chalk will be fewer as as I work for the next several months, but I look forward to talking to all of you to find times you can join us next year on the Great Loop. Until then come to Austin. Marc

No comments:

Post a Comment