Thursday, April 14, 2011

If it is Thursday, It's Georgia



Rock Chalk is back in its summer waters, Brunswick Georgia. Are you surprised that Shelley and I have basically gone from the west coast of south Florida (Ft. Myers) all the way across Florida, then up to Georgia? Now we are slowing down. Right.

There is bad weather headed for Georgia on Saturday, so we are going to our next destination early tomorrow. Shelley wants to go to the Sunbury crab comapny on the Medway River. I have a chart for that, but its 5 miles off the Intercoastal somewhere between St. Simon and Savannah. It is supposed to have the best crab cakes in Georgia. Storms may hit tomorrow night, but we will be tied up to the SCC marina.

I am forcing myself to go slow, ie at 8 mph. I have been following other trawlers who can only cruise at 8 or 9 mph, and it forces me to stay slow. But even going slow, we plan on spending the weekend on Tybee Island near Savannah, then a couple of days in Beaufort, South Carolina, and then a full week in Charleston, SC. That should be fun. Then its on to the Dismal Swamp in North Carolina.

It has become obvious that Shelley is a major risk taker. All day long I was obsessing with a small passage I knew was coming up the west side of Jekyll Island. I have taken the boat through there before, and know it was really shallow. Today's low tide was several feet lower than normal, and we were hitting that spot at exactly 12:30, which was dead low tide. We were not even to the shallows when I looked down and we had six inches below our keel. Yikes!!

Shelley said keep going. I said lets anchor and wait an hour for the water to come up. Well, 5 minutes later we are barely skimming over the bottom, and I am having a heart attack. Shelley is very calm reading her iPad. We made it through, but barely. Should have anchored and waited an hour. Rock Chalk




No comments:

Post a Comment