Friday, April 8, 2011

Life on a Boat

Rather than a continuim of a geography lesson of Florida, I thought I would share with you a "day in the life", as we get into our routine on Rock Chalk. For the first time since I was five, I do not "have" to get up to get to school, classes, or work. So you think I would sleep in, relax, not be in a rush. Wrong. Both Shelley and I wake up early, say 6:00am, and force ourselves to not get up until 6:30. I make coffee and turn on the computers. We read the Wall Street, and all the various sites that we have saved.

Then I start the process to get the boat underway. That includes making sure the dinghy is tied tight, getting the electronics on, bringing up the binoculars, cell phone, charts, and cruising guides. Everything needs to be handy. Preparation is pretty simple right now, because we have been up and down the Florida east coast, so I know the water and the places we can anchor, pick up a mooring ball, or stay at a marina. Once we get north of Savannah, I will have to be studying the charts and books much more.

We were off from Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart at 8:15 this morning and enjoyed the cruise back out the St Lucie river to the ocean inlet. The intercoastal crosses right at the inlet from the ocean, a place they call the "Crossroads". At exactly 9:00 am this morning, April 8th, we turned north in the intercoastal for Canada. Yeehaw!!

4 hours later we picked up a mooring ball in Vero Beach. We made phone calls and texted our kids. I talked to a rep on a case, all while running down the intercoastal. You just have to keep the reds to port and greens to starboard.

Still have not figured out how to attach a photo to this blog, so Shelley is going to try today. That is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment